Woodland Park Zoo-Program Presenter (Apply by 12/12)
This is your opportunity to join a dynamic Education team at Woodland Park Zoo. Applications are now being accepted for Program Presenter for Evening and Overnight Programs in the Child & Family Programs department the Woodland Park Zoo in Seattle. There are multiple part-time, temporary, non-benefited positions to be filled at this time. The pay rate is $12.33 per hour.
Present engaging programs, experiences and animal encounters to a variety of audiences. This position works with a team to lead Zoo Evening and Overnight Adventures, presenting a variety of interpretive programs and tours for groups of 25-75 individuals, ages 7 and above. The majority of Zoo Adventures programs occur March through November on Friday and Saturday nights with some events Tuesday through Thursday. This position also works with a team to present Parents’ Night Out (PNO) programs to groups of up to 40 4-11 year olds during an indoor facilitated childcare program. Individuals in this position work primarily with overnight and evening programs, but could work daytime programs if schedule permits.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Present engaging programs and experiences to audiences of all ages on zoo grounds, utilizing developmentally appropriate practices.
- Assist education program coordinators with program development, evaluation and revision.
- Present thematically based tours of zoo grounds.
- Handle and present to the public a variety of species of mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians and arthropods.
- Organize rooms, program props and materials for programs.
- Prepare and submit statistics and receipts to supervisory staff.
- Organize and maintain program supply inventories.
- Operate audio/visual equipment for programming as needed
- Spend the night at the zoo with the group, and handle any problems, needs or emergencies that might arise during the night.
- Handle money and prepare required accounting records for Zoo Adventure t-shirt sales.
- Attend required monthly evening staff meeting
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- January 21, 9:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m.
- January 28, 5:30-9:30 p.m.
- February 4, 5:30-9:30 p.m.
- February 10 5:00-10:00 p.m.
- February 11 6:30-10:30 a.m.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to present creative, mission driven programming to a wide variety of audiences and to mentor interns and volunteers.
- Able to present programs for up to 30 students and chaperones on tour and groups of 20 - 125 students and chaperones in an auditorium setting.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Must be enthusiastic and customer service oriented and deal with clients in a courteous and professional manner. Enjoy working with the public including diverse populations and people of all ages.
- Ability to work effectively and in a positive manner as a team member, and independently with little supervision.
- Possess general knowledge of zoology, ecology and conservation.
- Flexibility in dealing with program delivery and changes in deadlines and operation protocol.
- Availability for a minimum of 6 programs per month (number of programs worked varies depending on bookings)
- Ability to handle education program animals and to become a WPZ certified animal presenter.
- Money-handling skills.
- Ability to drive an electric cart.
- Commitment to the mission of the zoo and the institutions’ Core Values.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
A minimum of two years of combined education and experience in natural science or environmental education presenting thematically based interpretive programs and/or classes to audiences of all age levels.
Proficient and experienced with Microsoft Office applications (particularly Word, Excel, PPT and Outlook), customized databases and technology, and Internet research.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 35 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds while handling, lifting, and storing program supplies, kits, and bulk food supplies. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to sit. The employee is occasionally required to stand; ambulate, reach with hands and arms; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl while setting up displays, transporting animals, class props and materials.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to outdoor weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud.
Applications are only accepted online through our Jobs page at www.zoo.org; no other forms of application will be accepted. Cover letter and resume are REQUIRED when applying for this position. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: December 12, 2011
Woodland Park Zoo is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment on any basis including race, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, disability, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, or gender identity/expression.More Jobs