YMCA Earth Service Corps - Leadership Development Director
5/24/2012 to 7/1/2012
As a full-time Leadership Development Director (LDD) for the Metrocenter YMCA Earth Service Corps program, you will be responsible to guide and direct all aspects of the YMCA Earth Service Corps program. YMCA Earth Service Corps (YESC) is an environmentally based, service learning and youth leadership program for high school and middle school students. This is a full-time, grant based position (40 hrs/week) based out of the Metrocenter YMCA in downtown Seattle.
THE YMCA EARTH SERVICE CORPS LDD will be responsible for:
- Youth Work: Running and supporting YESC Clubs at the middle school and/or high school level, providing guidance and training to staff working with youth, running regional youth events including leadership retreats, restoration projects, summer programming and environmental conferences.
- Environmental Expertise: Knowledge and understanding of local environmental issues and ability to support school-wide environmental campaigns including composting and waste reduction programs, energy audits, recycling programs, school gardens, and Washington Green Schools/King County Green Schools certifications.
- Program Outreach: Build new and cultivate existing relationships with collaborative agencies, funders, school staff and other partners by partnering and raising awareness about YESC throughout the community and engaging partners in program implementation
- Program Development: Development and implementation of major regional events for YESC including retreats, symposia, service projects, and other activities. Continue to grow and develop the YESC program for Seattle and the region, ensuring program continues to thrive and meet the needs of our communities, schools and participants.
- Supervision & Staff Development: Hire, train and supervise YESC AmeriCorps members and volunteers.
- Communications: updating website, creating newsletters and other program communications, updating social media sites, creating recruitment materials, communicating with YESC participants and both local and regional YESC staff and volunteers.
- Budget and Financial Development: Develop and manage program budget including tracking of expenditures and program fundraising including grant writing, reporting and participation in Metrocenter YMCA annual campaign. Research and seek out new funding sources and revenue streams in order to meet annual budget goals.
Other requirements and certifications:
- B.A. or B.S. in related field (Environmental Science, Recreation, Education…)
- Outstanding organizational skills and attention to detail
- Highly self-motivated
- Experience with marketing, outreach and working with volunteers
- Computer proficiency, including experience with Microsoft Excel and Word
- Excellent written and oral communication skills including public speaking experience
- Previous youth work, environmental education and service learning experience
- Ability to plan and prioritize multiple tasks
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record
- First Aid and CPR certification (Wilderness First Aid or Wilderness First Responder a plus)
- Willingness to drive a 14 passenger mini bus
Come join the YMCA of Greater Seattle where we promote a continuous learning environment and career opportunities. Competitive pay range and excellent benefit package includes YMCA membership, health, dental, life and disability insurance; tuition assistance; 12% retirement fund contribution, when eligible.
Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com or, apply online at yemployment.org or mail to 909 Fourth Avenue, Seattle, WA 98104-1194, Attention: Human Resources Department.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: JULY 1, 2012
The YMCA of Greater Seattle is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity, inclusion and equity. We are a drug & alcohol-free workplace.