- Support each student’s background and learning both in and out of school – from classroom to home and world and back again – by including community-based educators and programs in the curriculum.
- Coordinate nonformal education providers (outdoor learning centers, aquariums, zoos, museums, and other community programs) to align programs and resources with school curriculum and state learning standards.
- Promote partnerships between schools/school districts and nonformal providers of environmental and sustainability education.
- Expand opportunities for students from middle school through college to participate in field and community-based learning through local sustainability initiatives, research, service projects, and internships with public and private organizations.
- With help from public and private sectors, align learning standards and curriculum with real-world issues.