Washington’s Businesses, Agencies, Educators and Students Honored at E3 Washington’s 3E’s Summer Evening at the McKinstry Innovation Center
A start-of summer event celebrating excellence in environmental and sustainability education was held last night at McKinstry’s Innovation Center in south Seattle. The event was a collaboration between nonprofit E3 Washington, USEPA and McKinstry. In addition to the 2011 E3 Washington “Green Apple” Awards given to business, agency, educator and student leaders, Redmond High School teacher Mike Town was awarded the USEPA’s Presidential Award for Environmental Education Innovation and an Honorary Mention Award was presented to teacher Susan Milan of the Whidbey School District.
E3 Washington’s Honorary Co-Chairs include Governor Chris Gregoire, Bill Ruckelshaus and Billy Frank Junior. “Recognizing environmental and sustainability education is the vision we had when E3 Washington was formed,” said Gov. Chris Gregoire. “These award winners are an inspiration to me and to the citizens of the state and are the type of innovators we need to inspire current and future generations. Thanks to McKinstry and E3 Washington for sponsoring the celebration and congratulations to the award winners.”
Heidi de Laubenfels, McKinstry’s Director of Communications and External Relations, welcomed invitees and commented that, “McKinstry is pleased to be hosting so many enterprising individuals and organizations that promote a vision and concrete goals toward building a sustainable future. It’s noteworthy that these efforts integrate all sectors and benefit all residents of Washington state.”
Award recipients at the June 20 celebration included the following individuals and organizations:
- Student Leaders – Jessica Alvarez, North Cascades Institute and Madeline McClelland and Allie DeCastro from the Pacific Science Center/Mercer Slough
- Green Apple
- Grades K-5 Educator –Marie Hartford, Horace Mann Elementary, Lake Washington School District
- Grades 6-8 Educator –Eileen McMackin, Environmental and Adventure School, Lake Washington School District
- Grades 9-12 Educator-Michael Wierusz, Secondary Academy for Success, North Shore School District
- Higher Education - Lucia Harrison, The Evergreen State College
- Informal Educator - Amy Brown, North Cascades Institute
- Nonprofit Organization - Pacific Education Institute
- Diversity in Action – Lower Elwha Klallam Tribe, NatureBridge in Olympic National Park, Western Carolina University
- Agency Excellence – Office of Indian Education in the Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction
- Business Excellence -McKinstry
- E3 Washington President’s Award - Chuck Lennox, Cascade Interpretive Consulting, LLC
Effenus Henderson, president of E3 Washington, noted that the “the achievements of awardees constitute real successes and broadly represent the diversity of our citizen, education, business, and non-profit sectors. We envision a future where everyone in Washington is more aware of and inspired by the important successes in sustainability education achieved by our teachers, agency partners, business associates, and nonprofit colleagues like those that we honored here tonight.”
This event would not have been possible without the generous contributions of our sponsors and we extend a special thank you for your continued support:
- Fish Tale Brewing Company
- Taylor Shellfish Farms
- Chateau Ste. Michelle Wines
- O.S Winery
- McKinstry Innovation Center
- The Suquamish Tribe
- Franklin Conservation District
- Weyerhaeuser Company
We also thank our partners at North Cascade Institute, especially Jessica Newley and Jessica Haag, for their photography/videography services during the event.
Since 1990, E3 Washington, formerly the Environmental Education Association of Washington (EEAW) has been the professional home for diverse environmental and sustainability educators and their supporters. E3 Washington works broadly with education, tribal, business, governmental and community-based partners to enhance and support learning for sustainability.
If you would like to see more photo's from the Awards celebration, please view the link provided below.